Here Are 5 Things You May Not Know About Power 95-9
Can you believe that Power 95-9 has been on the air for 23 years? I thought I could share 5 things you may not know about Power 95-9 to celebrate its 23rd birthday.
1. The station originally went on the air in the mid 80's as KLLI it was called Kelly 96 and my first 'real' radio job was at this station in 1989. I worked from midnight until 6 am and it was a big eye-opening experience for me. I later went on to work the night show and do the 'request and dedication' show that was on from 10 until 12 late nights.
2. The station flipped formats to Oldies in the early 90s'. We actually did a thing where I took over the station and played the same crazy song. It was taken so seriously that the police actually showed up. Here is a video of the song.
3. After a few years as Oldies 96 the station then flipped formats again to Country. Thunder 95-9 played all of your country favorites and was your 13 in a row station.
4. Thunder was successful for a little while but it was time for a change. A big change. The station flipped formats again to top 40. So on February 28th, 1998 Thunder 95-9 played its last country song Garth Brooks 'The Dance'.
The first pop song was Sheryl Crow 'A Change Would Do You Good'.
5. So here we are 23 years later. Thank you for listening to us from the begging and we look forward to many more.