Pet of the Week is a Hound Dog at the Texarkana Animal Shelter
Our featured pet of the week from the animal shelter in Texarkana this week is a young hound dog. He was very shy at first but once he knew he could trust us, he let loose and had a good time.
You can help name the dogs at the shelter. Send your name suggestion lists to the shelter to help them use unique pet names.
The shelter's adoption fees range from $20 to $201, depending on the gender and size of the animal or whether they have been spayed or neutered yet. You can take your pets to be microchipped at the animal shelter for only $20. That way, if your pet is ever lost, it can be returned to you quickly.
Our animal shelter is a "kill shelter" which means dogs and cats are euthanized when lack of space becomes an issue. Some weeks there are more animals put down than other weeks. Most city ran shelters are open admission facilities like Texarkana's, which means they cannot turn cats and dogs away because there isn't any room. It is up to the community to help our local shelter and there are several ways to help:
- Please spay and neuter your pets.
- Microchip your pets.
- Volunteer to help educate citizens about the need to spay and neuter their animals.
- Get the word out by sharing this post on your social media pages.
- Go to the shelter and take your own photos and videos to share with friends.
- Donate money to the shelter to help cover spay and neuter costs for people that want to adopt a pet but they cannot afford all of the upfront costs.
- Donate materials and money to help replace outdated equipment.
The Animal Care and Adoption Center is located at 203 Harrison St., Texarkana, Ark., 71854 and is open Monday through Friday from 11AM and 5PM and Saturdays from 11AM to 2PM. Our shelter takes in animals from many surrounding communities. Please remember to check with the shelter if you have lost a pet or if you are interested in adopting a new pet.