10 Tips On How To Stay Safe In This Heat
Well, we asked for dryer weather, but the heat and humidity are here. With the heat and humidity this weekend some areas will have heat indices above 100 degrees.
We wanted to share some tips on staying safe in this hot weather this weekend. The American Red Cross has some safety tips to prevent danger from the heat and humidity:
1. Never leave children or pets alone in enclosed vehicles.
2. Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids even if you do not feel thirsty.
3. Avoid any drink with caffeine or alcohol.
4. Make sure you wear loose-fitting clothes, lightweight clothing, and avoid dark-colored clothing because they absorb the sun’s rays.
5. Slow down, stay indoors and avoid strenuous exercise during the hottest part of the day, usually in the early afternoon.
6. Postpone outdoor games and activities.
7. Use a buddy system when working in excessive heat that way if you do have heatstroke someone is there to help you.
8. Take frequent breaks if you must work outdoors.
9. Check on family, friends, and neighbors who do not have air conditioning, who spend time alone, or who are more likely to be affected by the heat.
10. Check on your animals frequently to ensure that they are not suffering from the heat. Make sure they have fresh water in a bowl that is not in the sun.
Keeping hydrated and not getting overheated can keep you from getting heat cramps, heat exhaustion, or worse yet suffering a heat stroke, which could prove deadly.