Stuff The Bus Event on Saturday to Help Kids in Need Go Back to School
Stuff the Bus is still in need of donations and volunteers to help collect on Saturday, Aug. 12. Many kids will not have the supplies they need to go back to school unless you help Stuff-The-Bus by donating school supplies so kids are ready for the first day of school.
This Saturday the tax-free weekend in Texas and the United Way of Greater Texarkana will be accepting donations at the Texas-side Walmart Supercenter as well as the Arkansas-side Walmart Supercenter from 10AM to 2PM for the ninth annual Stuff the Bus school supply drive. Your donation of supplies or monetary donations will go towards filling 1,600 backpacks for area youth in twelve school districts throughout four counties. One hundred percent of your funds stay one hundred percent local. Please help the United Way of Greater Texarkana by donating to the Stuff the Bus school supply drive.
The United Way of Greater Texarkana has collaborated with more than 30 local businesses to put this year's Stuff-The-Bus on to collect school supplies for children that need help in our local schools. The Stuff-The-Bus program is organized and driven by volunteers to assist struggling families in getting necessary supplies for the upcoming school year. To locate drop spots nearest to you, visit the Stuff-The-Bus page. As a United Way Program, all donations are tax-deductible.
Saturday, August 12, 10AM – 2PM:
- Walmart Super Center, Texarkana, Ark.
- Walmart Super Center, Texarkana, Texas
- Small backpacks
- Pencils (#2 with eraser)
- Ballpoint pens
- Notebook paper
- Rulers and protractors
- Crayons (in box)
- Pencil sharpeners (small)
- Construction paper
- 3-ring binders
- Colored pencils and pens
- Safety scissors
- Glue sticks
- Hand sanitizer
- Pocket folders
“We increased the goal this year to 1,600 backpacks. The need grows year over year and the more supplies and funds we can raise, the more we can do to close the need gap,” says Jennifer Lockman, Stuff the Bus chairperson. “On average, it’s estimated to cost $103 per child to send a student back to school with the necessary school supplies that they need – having the right tools to succeed makes all the difference in the world. One hundred percent of the funds raised goes back into this program.”
Volunteers are needed to sort and stuff backpacks after the collection events in August. Businesses can participate by asking their employees to volunteer in the stuffing of the backpacks. The United Way also needs volunteers for the Saturday collection events. Sign up to help online. Volunteers can also sign up online through a direct link on the United Way website.
Beyond donating supplies, there are sponsorship levels beginning at $250. Businesses and individuals can donate on any level. New this year is a online donation option. “We want to make giving as easy and convenient as possible. We understand that not everyone can volunteer on a Saturday or after-hours to stuff backpacks, so this year we’ve added the GoFundMe Stuff-The-Bus 2017 campaign so people can donate online,” says Lockman.
School Supply Drop-Off Locations in Texarkana:
- Anytime Fitness - 2229 Trinity Blvd
- Bancorp South - New Boston Road 3000 New Boston Road
- Bancorp South - 3113 Richmond Road
- Bancorp South - 2200 N. State Line Avenue
- City of Texarkana, Texas - 220 Texas Boulevard
- Classic Auto Park - 4333 Mall Drive
- Classic Kia - 902 Walton Drive
- Cooper Tire - 3500 Washington
- Cooper Tire Service - 5320 N. State Line Avenue
- Escape to Bliss - 3502 Richmond Road
- Express Employment - 3206 Jefferson Avenue
- Fat Jacks - 3324 N. State Line Avenue
- Gilliam Hearing - 3101 Kennedy Lane
- Gregg Orr Classic Corp - 3921 Mall Drive
- Gregg Orr Extreme - 4411 N. State Line Avenue
- Harte Hanks - 1801 N. Robinson Road #5
- Healthcare Express - 3515 Richmond Road
- Healthcare Express Sportsplex - 5610 Richmond Road
- Hopkins Ice House - 4030 Gibson Lane
- Hopkins Ice House (Downtown) - 301 East 3rd Street
- Mr. Speedy's - 4119 N. State Line Avenue
- Regions Bank - 2000 Richmond Road
- Regions Bank - 2800 N. State Line Avenue
- Regions Bank - 5126 Summerhill Road
- Shelter Insurance – Missy Dickens - 1600 Arkansas Blvd
- St. Michaels Health System - 2400 Saint Michael Drive
- TEXAR - 4437 Jefferson Avenue
- TEXAR - 2301 Richmond Road
- Texas A&M Texarkana - 7101 University Avenue
- Texarkana Resources - 3015 E. 19th Street
- United Way of Greater Texarkana - 214 Spruce Street
For additional drop off locations, visit the Stuff-The-Bus page.
“United Way envisions a world where every individual has an opportunity to succeed, and entire communities thrive as a result. We focus on education, financial stability and health, the building blocks for a good life and a strong community. Education is the keystone of those three key tenets the United Way of Greater Texarkana & our Community Impact team supports. The “Stuff-the-Bus” program is a critical piece to insuring a child has the tools needed to flourish,” says Mark L. Bledsoe, UWGT President.