Pet of the Week is an Akita-Shepherd at the Texarkana Animal Shelter
His name is Mighty. He was picked up as a stray and now waits for the right adopter to give him a new home. He is playful, quiet and beautiful.
Mighty enjoyed playing fetch and running around the exercise area. His looks are stunning and appears to be a mix of Shepherd and Akita.
You can help name the dogs at the shelter. Send your name suggestion lists to the shelter to help them use unique pet names.
Costs For Adopting:
The shelter's adoption fees range from $20 to $201, depending on the gender and size of the animal or whether they have been spayed or neutered yet. You can take your pets to be microchipped at the animal shelter for only $20. That way, if your pet is ever lost, it can be returned to you quickly.
Information You Need To Know About The Animal Shelter:
Our animal shelter is a "kill shelter" which means dogs and cats are euthanized when lack of space becomes an issue. Some weeks there are more animals put down than other weeks. Most city ran shelters are open admission facilities like Texarkana's, which means they cannot turn cats and dogs away because there isn't any room. It is up to the community to help our local shelter and there are several ways to help.
How You Can Help The Shelter:
- Please spay and neuter your pets.
- Microchip your pets.
- Volunteer to help educate citizens about the need to spay and neuter their animals.
- Get the word out by sharing this post on your social media pages.
- Go to the shelter and take your own photos and videos to share with friends.
- Donate money to the shelter to help cover spay and neuter costs for people that want to adopt a pet but they cannot afford all of the upfront costs.
- Donate materials and money to help replace outdated equipment.
The Animal Care and Adoption Center is located at 203 Harrison St., Texarkana, Ark., 71854 and is open Monday through Friday from 11AM and 5PM and Saturdays from 11AM to 2PM. Our shelter takes in animals from many surrounding communities. Please remember to check with the shelter if you have lost a pet or if you are interested in adopting a new pet.