Arkansas-side Police Will Be Working School Zones
As summer comes to an end and school gets ready to begin, the Texarkana Arkansas Police Department wants to remind motorist School Zones will be in effect. Texarkana Arkansas Schools start on Tuesday, August 17, 2021, and the Texarkana Arkansas Police Department will be working random school zones to help keep you and your family safe as they head to school.
Traffic fines are doubled in school zones and officers will be conducting traffic enforcement within these school zones with zero tolerance. Special emphasis will be placed on speeding violations, the use of cell phones as well as careless driving, and improper passing.
These are a few reminders regarding school safety:
- It is illegal to pass a school bus from any direction while the busses’ red lights are flashing.
- Put your cell phone down. Texting and social media are a distraction as well as illegal.
- Most school zone speed limits and boundaries are clearly marked and should be strictly followed. 15 miles per hour is the maximum speed within school zones.
- Remember to watch for kids, because they may not be watching for you.
- Parents should take care when dropping their children off in school driveways.
- Parents should always remind their children to watch for other vehicles that are pulling through driveways and always look both ways before crossing a school driveway.
Patrol Officers will be working in school zones at the beginning and end of each school day. These officers, along with the on-campus school resource officers, will take enforcement actions dealing with criminal violations that occur on school property. In addition, the patrol officers will often spend time walking through the school during the day to ensure the safety of our children.